Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Small Space Pets

litter


So do you have a pet in your small space? I do. I want to first inoculate you against preconceptions by saying I’ve always thought of my self as a dog person. I had several average dogs as a younger person and one wonderful Doberman. As an adult I have tinkered with several small pets, think small aquariums and the like. I currently have a cat.

We picked her up one night while sitting on our front stoop, a beat-up, half-starved kitten. I could go on and on and tell you how Koneko is easily the best pet I have ever had, but that’s a post for another day.

Today I have a fare more grave issue to discuss. My dear friend is dead. No not my cat, her litter box. Sorry if that got you going, but this is dire. I have owned a Littermaid for over 2 years. I’m not sure if you are aware of this most amazing invention so I’ll tell you. It is an automated, low-maintenance and self-cleaning litter box. The LitterMaid is outstanding. It has a sensor that tracks your cat’s trips to the box and several minutes after each visit it rakes the box and deposits the waste in a plastic receptacle with optional charcoal filter. Mine has worked flawlessly, more or less, for over 2 years. There were a few snafus along the way, mostly my fault, I said low-maintenance not no-maintenance. There is a marginal amount of filling changing the receptacle and general tidying up require but the LitterMaid does the heavy lifting.

So breaking after 2 years is kind of a bummer but when I think how it has kept my house clean and most importantly odor free I’d buy it again in a heartbeat. In fact I think I will. There is a new updated model the LME9250 with even more features. It now has a more easily removable steel rake, a built in ionic air filter, and my favorite a timer to set a time when it will not clean like while I’m sleeping. It also looks generally better built; the mechanics look to be more concealed which will make for easier cleaning. One drawback is the size it’s just big but you can stash it somewhere out of sight like a closet and almost forget you have it. I said almost.

Oh and here are pictures of Koneko just to prove she is happy and healthy.


0 comments: