Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Small Space Kitchen: The Armoire Kitchen

minikit-350

minikit-inside-350


Kitchens are an important part of any home. Eating at home saves money, is often more healthy than eating out, and can be a rewarding experience. The challenge of small space living is to use what you have. Not just objects, but the space. The efficient use of space is as important as only owning what you need. If there is a utensil or a pan in your kitchen that you have not used in 18 months, let it go.

Although this kitchen is not suited for gourmet cooking, it is a superb example of efficiency. The Armoire Kitchen by Yester Tec is one of the finest examples of a truly self-contained kitchen I have seen.

The Armoire Kitchen is a handsome maple cabinet. It looks like any standard armoire from the outside, but inside it is anything but standard. The upper doors of the unit fold back to reveal the kitchen countertop. There is a small stainless steel sink, a 2-burner cooktop and a microwave hood. The bottom of the unit conceals a small refrigerator/freezer combo and a dishwasher.

There is no skimping in The Armoire Kitchen with appliances by Subzero, Kenyon, Paykel, and GE. This is some primo stuff that makes my personal small kitchen blush. I don’t even have a dishwasher... well my wife, but she doesn’t count. The unit is not exactly inexpensive — regular price $13,327 and sale price $9,300 – $9,700. But hey, all that kitchen bling aint cheap

20 comments:

papia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rocketgirlsf said...

If I had room for that, or could even come close to affording it, I would buy it just so I could name it Optimus Prime. That's just amazing!

FaerieTurtle said...

Another great find, Michael. Very cool. Reminds me of an upscale version of my first apartment in Pittsburgh (409 Morewood!)... except that the dishwasher was the shower, the sink was in the bathroom, and the stove was a hotplate. :-) But my "kitchen" was in a closet like that. I loved the little 1/2 fridge.

:-)

Michael said...

Buy a nice Armoire for about $1000 and have a carpenter add shelves and drawers for $500.
Have your plumber put in a bar sink and a bar fridge and a couple of hotplates for about $500 and you are all set for less than $2000.

Or you could probably jam a small dresser, a small electric stove and a bar fridge into an Ikea cabinet for 1/3 that amount.

swandiver said...

As someone who is always looking for ways to live great in a small space, I love these enclosed kitchens. However, the prices are ridiculous.

With housing prices in desirable cities like New York and San Francisco still sky high, you would think that these designers would be going after all those landlords looking for ways to subdivide spaces. But no landlord will spend that much on a rental unit.

Jan said...

It's neat to have this kind of kitchen for a small space. I'm planning to hire a carpenter to all the woodwork in the kitchen but I guess no now since building it is a bit expensive.

Turnadaisy said...

I love this! Thanks for posting it :)
Suz

Anonymous said...

I would forgo the dishwasher and put a freezer drawer there instead.

web design India said...

nice post

scifichick said...

They don't need a microwave. A lot of people don't want to use them in any case and it just takes space. And I would prefer just to have a deep drawer instead of a dishwasher. But it's very neat and tidy, great idea!

Koekkener said...

Very simple kitchen but it looks so great. Its clean and neat. Thank you for sharing.

Jack said...

Wow really very nice and good information you share here. I read your entire post and really superb information you share here on funny stuff. thanks for your information.

Randy said...

If you're wife see's that comment "...my wife, but she doesn't count," YOU ARE DEAD MEAT!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the kitchen area of a Doubletree suite, only with a burner. I'd love a bitty kitchen like this, only I could do without the folding doors and would want an oven of some sort.

Primary Work at Home said...

I like this idea. So perfect for small spaces.

Annienygma said...

I love this kitchen. It is a bit small for how much I like to cook, but I know some people this would be perfect for! Heck, it would be perfect for me when the kid moves out! Great post!

Aluminum Extrusions said...

Wow... I never saw this coming... I thought it was a simple storage unit, but that contains an entire kitchen. What a great piece.

the said...

Top website designing company in India, Surat provding world class design and solutions.
Surat SEO, SEO Company Surat, Website Design Services Surat, Surat Website Development Services

fine furniture said...

Good to read about the Armoire Kitchen...it really is a wonderful idea in a small space.It stands for good taste and good quality yes.

the said...

Top website designing company in India, Nashik provding world class website design and solutions.
Nashik Website Designing, Nasik Webpage Design, Nashik Website Design, Nashik website company, SEO Company Nashik, Nashik Website
Development Services